In 1993, Nguyen Phan Que Mai received a development scholarship from the Australian government. Over the last 15 years, Que Mai has worked to contribute to the sustainable development of Vietnam as well as the Asian region. Her areas of expertise include development communications, gender mainstreaming and film/media. She has enjoyed successful consulting experiences with government agencies, international development organisations, UN agencies, local NGOs and media agencies.
Some of her short-term consulting assignments include:
- Tour study consultant for Vietnam's Justice Initiatives Facilitation Fund (the Philippines);
- Communications Consultant for Australia Unlimited – a magazine produced by Hardie Grant for the Australian Trade Commission (Vietnam and the Philippines);
- Tour study consultant for the Vietnam Railway Corporation (Philippines);
- Communications Expert & Film Producer for the International Labour Organization (ILO) (Quang Nam and Hanoi - Vietnam);
- Communication Expert & Media Trainer for ILO's Project on "Promoting Decent Work for People with Disability through a Disability Inclusion Support Service" (Hanoi - Vietnam);
- Gender Trainer for NGOs in Vietnam - Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA Vietnam) (Hanoi);
- Senior Adviser on Strategic Communications – REACH Vietnam (Hanoi);
- Communications Adviser – National Stakeholder Consultation, UN Women (Hanoi);
- Gender Expert and Trainer - ChildFund Vietnam (Hanoi);
- Gender Expert and Trainer for all UN agencies in Vietnam - One UN Vietnam (Hanoi);
- Communications Expert in Gender and Social Protection - the International Labour Organization (Hanoi and Vinh Phuc);
- Communication Expert & Film Producer - the International Labour Organization (Vinh Phuc, Ha Tinh, Dong Nai, and Hanoi);
- Communications Expert on Communications Strategy Design - International Organization for Migration (IOM) (Hanoi);
- Communications Expert on Communications Strategy Design and Implementation - the International Labour Organization (Hanoi);
- Communications Expert on Stakeholder Survey and Communications Strategy Design - ILO-IPEC's Programme on the Elimination of the Worst Forms of Child Labour in Vietnam (Dong Nai, Quang Nam, Lao Cai, Ninh Binh, Ha Tay, and Hanoi);
- Guest Lecturer - Vietnam Institute for Communications and Journalism (Hanoi);
- National Researcher for The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on Media Coverage about Corruption in the Health Sector, Vietnam (Hanoi);
- Communications & Public Relations Expert and Trainer - Vietnam's Office of the National Assembly, the Supreme People's Procuracy of Vietnam, and the High Court of Vietnam (Hanoi and Quang Ninh).
Long-term professional positions:
- 2006-now: Freelance Journalist for leading newspapers of Vietnam, including Tuoi Tre, Tuoi tre Cuoi Tuan, Lao dong Cuoi tuan, Tien phong Cuoi tuan, Vietnam Heritage and Vietnam News.
- August 2006 - December 2009: Regional Communications and Knowledge Management Coordinator, SNV Netherlands Development Organisation – Asia Region: Managed a team comprised of five country communications officers and fostered pro-active communications activities of 240 SNV Asia staff members to bring behaviour change to ensure sustainable development in 8 countries in Asia (Vietnam, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Cambodia, Laos, Pakistan, and Indonesia. SNV is an international development organisation with 1,500 staff members working in 32 countries in Africa, Asia, and the Balkans. For more information about SNV, please visit: www.snvworld.org
- November 2007 - now: Founder and Chair of the Advisory Committee - "Making Dreams Come True" Organisation: providing strategic direction for activities of more than 100 volunteers who are giving emotional and psychological support for over 3,000 young cancer patients who are receiving treatment in the K Tam Hiep Hospital and National Pediatrics Hospital of Vietnam.
- August 2004 – April 2006: Library-Media Specialist - American International School Dhaka (AIS/D), Bangladesh.
- 1998-2001: Public Relations/Marketing Manager - BIDV-QBE Insurance Company Ltd, Vietnam
- 1997-1998: Management Trainee - QBE Insurance, Australia.
- Reviewing stakeholder perceptions and commitments regarding child labor prevention and combat at the national level and at five project areas, including Dong Nai, Quang Nam, Lao Cai, Ninh Binh, Ha Tay, 2010, ILO Vietnam (researcher and writer);
- Understanding REDD - Implications for Lao PDR, Nepal and Vietnam, 2009, SNV & Indochina Carbon (contributor & publisher);
- "Building viable domestic biogas programs: Success factors in Sector Development," 2009, SNV (contributor and publisher);
- Sustainable Poverty Reduction – Best Practices and Lessons-learnt, 2008, SNV Asia (writer & editor);
- Using the Value Chain Approach for Pro-Poor Development, 2008, SNV Asia (editor);
- Let the People Lead: Lessons for Working Effectively with Excluded Groups, 2008, SNV Asia (contributor);
- Tourism Legislation and the Millennium Development Goals, 2006, SNV Asia (contributor);
- Financing Sustainability: Carbon Revenue for the Poor, SNV Asia, 2008 (writer & editor);
- Microfinance: Entrepreneurship Connected with Possibilities, SNV, 2007 (co-writer).
Wrote, edited and published hundreds of reports, case studies, leaflets, posters, brochures on development issues.
- HIWC Female Vision Award for Sustainable Development of Vietnam: award from the Hanoi International Women Club to "applaud and celebrate a Vietnamese woman with the courage to have a vision and the strength and determination to bring it to life" (2010);
- Award from the Youth Union of Vietnam for sustainable contributions to social development (2009);
- Australian Alumni Award for Sustainable Social Development sponsored by AusAID and the Australian Consulate in Vietnam (2008);
- Special Recognition Award for the Outstanding Staff Member, SNV Asia (2007);